Think about the last time you released an app. How many sessions did your beta testers run? How often did it crash? Where did users spend the most time? Visual Studio App Center gathers this data for you automatically and consolidates into a single web-based dashboard. It also provides a complete continuous-integration/continuous-deployment (CI/CD) solution for your iOS and macOS applications.
You connect your repo to App Center and it builds your apps on cloud-hosted agents, automatically runs unit and UI tests on real devices, and distributes them to beta tester and app stores. After deployment, App Center helps you monitor your apps with crash reports and advanced analytics. It even lets you send targeted push notifications to keep your customers engaged.
This project-based course shows you how to automate your iOS development process. You will start with a provided iOS Swift application and gradually incorporate App Center services. By the end of the course, you will have a native iOS Swift app with a fully integrated CI/CD pipeline.
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- Build your app in the cloud on demand or on every commit
- Test on real iOS devices
- Distribute new builds to beta testers
- Monitor app crashes and performance with comprehensive analytics
- Engage your customers with targeted push notifications
- Mobile app developers interested in learning how to automate management tasks such as testing and monitoring
- This is an introduction to App Center; no previous experience with App Center is required. Students must have experience with iOS development on a Mac using Xcode and Swift. They should be able to use the Apple developer portal to create provisioning profiles, generate certificates, and register devices. Basic familiarity with GitHub is recommended but not required.